Red Dead Stories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for our red dead stories

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I Will Follow You Into Darkness Pt.2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

I Will Follow You Into Darkness Pt.2 Empty
PostSubject: I Will Follow You Into Darkness Pt.2   I Will Follow You Into Darkness Pt.2 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 7:49 am

t was over a days ride up to the little Cabin in the snowy Ambarino mountains that Michael had so often used as a retreat from the world. It was the same cabin he'd taken Jake to to recover and hide from the gang that believed him to be dead. A lot of memories, a lot of time spent huddled around the fireplace, wrapped in a blanket to guard from the cold.

He had healed, day by day. Learned to speak again after getting his throat cut, causing who knows what damage inside. Michael had been there, every step of the way. A new friend, learning about one another each day. It had taken nine months in those mountains, for Jake to fully get back on his feet and function again, pluck up the courage to show his face in the world once more. A long time, a lot of books, a lot of long conversations with Michael over food and coffee.

A lot of people looked at Michael O'Driscoll and saw nothing but a monster. Jake? He saw someone else entirely. Someone that was just.. his.

He would never forget the way to that cabin, or the part it had played in their lives.

"How much further?" Leon asks as they saddle up from a makeshift camp at the foot of the trail leading in to the snow. They'd had no choice but to stop and get a little sleep, even though time was ticking and who knows how much of it Valerie really had left.

A vision kept plaguing him, of finding the girl traumatized and mauled by that 'thing' that wanted her. He hoped with all he was, that Michael had somehow managed to keep his word.

"Six hours, give or take. If the weather holds." Jake answers, fixing Blue's girth strap and swinging on to the horses back with practiced ease.

Isabella rides up beside him, fixing her sheeps wool lined jacket tight. "Lets get moving then."

Leon hops up on to Juno with a creak of leather and a stamp of the mare's hoof, and spurs her on. Jake leading the way up the trail.

Soon, their horses hooves hit snow, and the rhythmic thud turns to a soft crunch. Jake normally loved the sound, but today it all felt empty. The pit in his stomach deep and unmoving, no matter how beautiful the scenery got. They ride fast, working the horses as hard as they dare depending on the depths of the snow drifts. As they drew closer, Jake felt more and more like a fist was closing around his heart, and he remained quiet as Leon and Isabella talked behind him, a conversation that seemed to flow easily between them.

He couldn't help but glance over his shoulder at the two of them, getting on so well in spite of circumstance.

He catches Leon's eye, and the other man holds the gaze until Jake looks away. Uncomfortable. A moment later, he rides up beside him.

"Wanna tell me what this Michael character is doing takin' my sister all the way out here?" He asks the question Jake had been dreading.

"Expect they're huntin'." He answers without missing a beat, and without looking at him.

"Hunting?" Leon sounded dubious, "for three days?"

Jake simply shrugs. "We do it all the time. We've been teaching them, the kids.."

"Right." Leon mulls this over, "what is that, anyway? You just picking up runaways where you find them?"

"Valerie came to us." Jake finally looks across to him. "She was alone, and afraid, and she needed help. We helped her. Now she's got somewhere to stay."

Leon studies him. "And the rest of em?"

"Should probably ask them." Jake glowers, shooting him another look, "me and Michael? we've both been those kids. With no place to go and no one to turn to. Maybe we just understand them."

"Pair of saints." Leon smirks.

"I wouldn't go that far." Jake rumbles.

Leon draws in a breath and lets it out, his breath a wispy white cloud. "If he's laid a hand on her, I'll kill him." He says steadily, looking right ahead.

"And I'll gut you." Jake answers.

"Making friends?" Isabella asks, riding up between them.

Leon just snorts. Jake turns Blue up to a branching trail that led almost blindly off of the snowy road.

The cabin wasn't much further.

The sun was beginning to sink again in the sky by the time they reach the hidden away cove deep in the mountains. Riding up to it, Jake could see a single light burning through the window. Only one horse. Michael's. He felt that fist tighten around his heart.

"This it?" Isabella asks.

"Yup." Jake draws Blue to a halt, the horse puffing from the exertion of a steep climb. "You two stay here."

"It's freezing.." Isabella objects.

"Just do as I say." Jake grunts. Jumping down from his horse his boots hit the snow, and he hurries through it as fast as he can to the door. Placing his hand upon it and dreading what he might find. Please let Valerie at least be alive, in one piece, unharmed. Please say they just went hunting. "Michael? It's me.." he calls out as he turns the latch and pushes the door open. It gives with a frosty creak and there's no sound at all. Just the flickering of the lamp and dying embers of the fireplace as fresh air hits it.

It wasn't a large cabin. One room, with all you needed to survive out here a while. No white hair, no Valerie. She wasn't here.

His breath catches in his throat and he dashes to the side of the bunk in the corner of the room, where Michael lay. Perfectly still. In that moment Jake felt the whole room close in on him, dreading checking for a pulse and finding him dead.

Not again.

His fingers press to the mans neck, and relief washes over him in a wave. He was alive.

"Michael?" He rests his hand on his arm, leaning over him and trying to rouse him.

There was blood, but no sign as to where it had come from.

"Michael it's Jake, I'm here.." he gathers him up, sitting on the bunk and pulling him close. He pushes his hair back from his eyes and rests his warm hand on Michael's cold cheek. Finally, he stirs, his eyes opening a sliver and gazing up at him.

"Jake?" he rasps it, and Jake's features break in to a soft smile.

"I'm here, I got you." He soothes.

There's a knock at the door, and a moment later Isabella peers inside, taking in the scene.

"She's not here." Jake tells her, though it was fairly obvious.

"Then where the hell is she?" Isabella demands.

All Jake can do is look down at the man in his arms. "Valerie?" he asks quietly.

"I told her to.. run.." he whispers his reply. "I stopped him."

Despite the circumstances, in that moment, Jake felt a swell of pride. "Good job." He murmurs, then looks back to Isabella who had heard the response.

"What do we do, she's out here somewhere?"

"There's a map on Blue. If she didn't find her way home, then check the other cabins marked on it.. there's a few round here." Jake instructs. "Hopefully she found shelter."

Isabella grits her teeth. "Hopefully."

With that, she leaves. The heavy door thunking shut again and soon the sound of hooves thundering away. Leon was probably going to kill them both, and Jake hoped with all his heart that Valerie was okay out there. She was resilient. She had to be.

He looks back down to Michael in his arms. "I'll get the fire started, lets warm you up."
Back to top Go down
https://reddeadstories.forumotion.com

I Will Follow You Into Darkness Pt.2
Page 1 of 1