Red Dead Stories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for our red dead stories

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thicker Than Water

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Thicker Than Water Empty
PostSubject: Thicker Than Water   Thicker Than Water EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 8:36 am

"You're eating too many of Allueta's magnificent pies, Micky." Charlotte snickered as her brother's weight shook his old coach.

"This is just a love belly! Char, you should try it sometime." Mikeal patted his substantial girth and pushed his baby sister out of the way.

Charlotte had been watching Mikeal's house while he and Allueta were away. The old mansion creeped her out, and his bloodhound was a mean old thing, but Allueta's library easily made up for it. Books lined three walls. Everything from adventure stories to encyclopedias. Charlotte had poured over so many of them already and she had another week to get through as many as she could. She'd scored some winter work on her friend's ranch and would have to be on the move by Friday.

"Charlotte, would you be so kind?" Came Allueta's voice through the daydream.

"Hmm? Oh, sorry I was a million miles away." Charlotte took Allueta's large case off the back of the coach. "I'll take this inside." Allueta's laugh made Charlotte's mind spin and she took a moment to watch her, sun filtered through her lace hat onto her hair it made it look like fire.

"So, how was your trip?" Charlotte asked over dinner. "No trouble on the road?"

"Oh no, it was quiet. Crossed paths with a wolf pack. Wish old Jack had been there for that part but we managed just fine." The old dog's ears perked at his name and he came over to beg for scraps. Charlotte handed him a piece of bread, but he managed to catch her finger as he took it, she yelped and pulled her hand away.

"Charlotte! Are you okay?" Allueta jumped from her seat. "Jesus, Jack, what is your problem?"

Charlotte gave the hound a dirty look before standing.

"It's just a nick. Let me go clean it up."

Allueta handed her a napkin, "here, let me help you. This way." Allueta ushered Charlotte into the kitchen. "Why does Jack hate you so much?" She laughed as she poured alcohol onto the cut, it made Charlotte hiss in pain.

"He hates everyone!"

"Here, I'll kiss it better." She brought Charlotte's hand to her lips. Charlotte pulled it away instinctively.

"Allueta."

Blush crept up her cheeks, "I'm sorry. I just missed you is all."

"There's nothing to miss. You're engaged. To my brother no less." Charlotte stood, wrapping a napkin around her hand.

"This will stop bleeding soon. Thank you for your help." Allueta sighed and flopped down onto a chair as Charlotte walked out.

"I'm going to call it a night. Thank you for dinner, Micky."

"Good night, kid."

Charlotte headed upstairs, she tried to shake thoughts of Allueta from her mind. Their affair last year had been short lived. Allueta wanted a certain standard of living Charlotte had no interest in providing. Mikeal never found out, thankfully. Charlotte put a swift end to it.

"A million miles away again?"

Charlotte jumped and spun around, "Allueta. What are you doing here?"

She raised her hands in surrender, "Nothing Char. Just checking you have everything you need. How's your hand?"

"I'll be fine."

Hurt flashed on Allueta's face at the stiff tone. "I brought some more books back with me. Would you like to take a look?"

Charlotte's resolve softened, "I'd love to. I'll be down in a moment. Meet me by the fire?"

Allueta's face lit up and she turned tail. Charlotte rubbed her eyes. Maybe Friday was too far away. She'd get on the road tomorrow. She picked up a blanket and headed downstairs.

Allueta was on the floor surrounded by five or six big books. Her back was to the door and Charlotte once again found herself staring. She scoffed at her own idiocy.

"Allueta." She said softly.

Aluetta turned to her with a radiant smile and patted the pillow next to hers. Charlotte sat beside her and picked up one of the books. Persuasion - Jane Austen.

"It's a love story." Allueta smiled, "A story of two lovers reconnecting after many years. You can read it if you like, I finished it on the way home." She put her hand on Charlotte's thigh.

Charlotte sighed, "Allueta. Please."

"You never call me Ally anymore." She said crestfallen.

"That hardly seems appropriate now does it?"

"It's just a nickname Charlotte. Everyone calls me by it."

"It doesn't feel right anymore. Tell me what other books you got."

The two browsed through the books together, stifling their giggles. Even Jack sat peacefully with them, enjoying the warmth of the fire. Hours passed, Mikeal had long since gone to bed and Allueta had dozed off with her head on Charlotte's lap and Persuasion in her hand. She'd been reading it out loud. Charlotte breathed in the smell of her soap and brushed her hair from her face.

"Ally."

"Mmhm." Allueta smiled sleepily.

"I'm leaving tomorrow. I can't be here with you. It's too hard. But you could come with me."

"Hmm?" Another sleepy response.

"Nothing. Go back to sleep." She lifted Allueta's head gently, slipped her leg out from under it and replaced it with a pillow. No good would come of them both falling asleep down here. She tucked the blanket under Allueta and headed to her room.

The sun woke Charlotte early. She could hear Micky fussing about downstairs. She threw on a shirt and headed down to talk to him.

"Morning, Micky."

"Char, did you sleep well?"

"Perfect," She lied. She hadn't slept much at all.

"I scraped together some breakfast. Allueta is still asleep. Carried her to bed at 4am. Swear that woman loves books more than me."

Charlotte laughed, "In your defense, I think she loves books more than most things."

His laugh filled the kitchen as he offered Charlotte some coffee, "You may be right on that one."

"I have to leave today."

"Today? I thought you were leaving Friday?"

"I was. Something happened at the ranch. They need an extra hand this week."

"Well alright. Today will be better for traveling anyway."

Charlotte packed up her few belongings. She travelled light. Just a duffle bag from her brother's service days.

"You have space for these?" Allueta handed Charlotte two books as she came downstairs.

"I always have space for books." She shoved them into her bag, "Thank you, Allueta."

"Help me feed the horses before you go."

"The train will be here soon. I have to get going." Charlotte replied.

"It'll only be ten minutes, come on!" Allueta took her hand and dragged her out the back door.

"Be careful of Red. He's a kicker." Mikeal called after them over his paper.

The women rounded the corner and Allueta pushed the barn doors open and dragged Charlotte inside. Before Charlotte could stop her Allueta had pushed her back against the barn door and kissed her.

"Allueta!"

"Hush. Please. Just let me say goodbye." Allueta begged as she slid Charlotte's shirt off her shoulders and kissed her collar bone softly. Out of character Charlotte threw caution to the wind, she picked Allueta up and laid her down on old flour sacks.

"I missed you." She whispered as she lifted Allueta's skirt.

Mikeal had been standing there over a minute before Allueta finally opened her eyes. She screamed and clutched her skirt to her. Trying to cover herself. Charlotte spun around desperately trying to button her trousers.

"Micky. Oh God."

"Don't you dare talk to me. I can't believe this!"

Allueta moved to shield Charlotte from his rage, "Mikeal. Please. Just stay calm."

"Calm? You want me to remain calm?" His face was purple and splotchy with rage.

"I'm so sorry," Charlotte begged. "It was all my fault, Micky. I came onto her! Don't be upset with her."

"You have five seconds," He said quietly.

"What?" Allueta sputtered.

"Charlotte. You have 5 seconds before I put a hole in your head." At this he picked up the shotgun beside him.

Tears streamed down her face. She turned to Alluetta, "Aly. I'm so sorry." She ran past Mikeal and grabbed her bag from the front door. She unhitched one of the coach horses and spurred it into action. She risked a final glance back, Mikeal was crying. So was Allueta.

"I shattered their worlds and just left them amongst the shards. Who does that?" Charlotte said to a bored old barman.

"Everybody kid. Each of us is the bad guy in someone's story."
Back to top Go down
https://reddeadstories.forumotion.com

Thicker Than Water
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Red Dead Stories :: Short Stories :: Thicker Than Water-
Jump to: